Tuesday, June 18, 2013

a reality check.

   If you've been hanging out with me lately (which not many people have due to my schedule), you will know that I really dislike my job. I love the people, I love what I do, but the hours and a number of other factors have made me miserable!! I am so blessed to have a job at all, but it would be nice to enjoy one of my last summers in the mitten, instead of staring at a computer screen, answering phones, and dealing with guest complaints.

   I go to work in the middle of what are usually beautiful afternoons, and I leave when it is dark and most everyone is thinking about sleeping. I often come home to a quiet dark house, and when I wake my family is already gone for the day. I spend much of my time alone, and have become quite lonely on occasion. To put it in simple terms, second shift and I don't really get along well.

   Two people who I have been lucky enough to interact with on a regular basis are my dearest friend Kate & my incredible boyfriend. I have been blessed that their schedules allow for early morning hangouts and late night skype calls; I would be very much alone without them. They have listened time and time again as I have complained about my job in a number of different ways. They, I'm sure, have heard me threaten to put in my two weeks notice (after I have only been here for 3) at least 100 times. To say the least, they have been very gracious to me.

    Today, in the midst of dreading coming to work this afternoon, and complaining (of course), I read a chapter in my latest devotional book which spoke of experiencing Jesus in the hard times. I came to a section that focused on all of suffering that Jesus experienced in His lifetime, and how He has been through every single trial and falling out that we have ever encountered - He's been there before! The book asked why we as humans think that we are exempt from sufferings, while our sweet Jesus has suffered the ultimate, thinking little of Himself. Instead of trying to get out of the suffering, Jesus called on his Father, and drew near to Him for comfort.

   I came to realize that I have been feeling very alone in my situation, and have been very selfish to think that I should be exempt from such a miserable situation. I should be rejoicing! This miserable job, and  my ample amount of alone time allow me to draw so much closer to Jesus, and to meet Him in a place that He understands, all too well. Jesus wants to meet me here to comfort me, and show me how I should best handle my job. I have been missing out on opportune teaching moments from my savior, because I have been too busy complaining and being absolutely miserable.

   So, reality check had, this day at work is being spent reminding myself that I am in a place where Jesus is near, and is trying to teach me great things. And I am also being thankful to have any sort of job. I hope that you will be reminded that Jesus wants to meet you where you are, and that He definitely understands what you are going through.

xo.


2 comments:

  1. Tried to follow you, but can't seem to follow you on this blog, it's not listed under the "follow me" tab!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it should be fixed now! thanks for reading! :))

      Delete